19 Jan, 2016
8738 Times Read.
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
- In a landmark development, India and Bangladesh at one minute after midnight of 1 August 2015 started the process of swapping border enclaves to settle the stateless people. These people were stranded for over six decades along the poorly defined border between the two countries. In this historic event, the two countries transferred exactly how many such enclaves? – 162
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a new campaign “Start-up India, Stand up India” during his Independence Day Address on the occasion of India’s 69thIndependence Day on 15 August 2015. “Start-up India, Stand up India” is associated with which issue? – Promoting banks to finance start-ups and offer incentives to boost entrepreneurship and job creation
- What will be the new name of the Agriculture Ministry as proposed by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his Independence Day address to the nation on 15 August 2015? – ‘Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Ministry’
- A path-breaking peace treaty was signed between the Union Govt. and the Naga rebels led by the National Socialist Council of Nagalim-IM (NSCN-IM) on 3 August 2015. The treaty was signed by Thuingaleng Muivah, General Secretary of the NSCN-IM in presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. This treaty thus brings to end the ongoing peace talks between the Naga rebels and the Union Government. These talks had started in which year? – 1997
- Union Govt. on 27 August 2015 announced the list of 98 cities and towns selected under Smart Cities Mission. Which state has been allocated highest number of 13 cities in this coveted list? – Uttar Pradesh
- In a landmark development for Egypt and international trade, Egypt unveiled a new addition to the iconic Suez Canal on 6 August 2015. The £6 billion project of upgrading the Canal by adding a new waterway, took just a year to complete, as against the original time-frame of 36 months. This new waterway thus became the third on the Suez Canal, which acts as the fastest link between Asia and Europe. Suez Canal connects which two oceanic bodies? – The Red Sea and the Mediterranean Sea
- What is the name of the 7-pronged strategy announced by the Union Finance Ministry on 14 August 2015 that aims for comprehensive revamp of public sector banks of the country? – “Indradhanush”
- In an important step for India’s banking sector, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 19 August 2015 granted its in-principle approval to setting up Payments Banks to 11 entities and individuals. The RBI had received 41 applications for payments banks by end of deadline in February this year. Which are these 11 entities and individuals to get approval for payments bank? – Aditya Birla Nuvo, Airtel M Commerce Services, Cholamandalam Distribution Services, Department of Posts,Fino PayTech,National Securities Depository Ltd (NSDL), Reliance Industries, Tech Mahindra, Vodafone m-pesa (Entities) and Dilip Shanghvi and Vijay S. Sharma (Individuals)
- What is the name of the m-wallet (mobile wallet) application of State Bank of India (SBI) that was launched by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on 18 August 2015? – SBI Buddy
- What is the name of the first dedicated portal for the benefit of students seeking educational loans that was launched during August 2015 by the Union Govt.? – “Vidya Lakshmi”
- Which private bank became the newest bank in India as it rolled out its services in on 23 August 2015? – Bandhan Bank
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the first National Handloom Day on 7 August 2015 at Chennai. The observance of National Handloom Day is expected to not only provide an impetus to India’s handloom industry but to also serve to promote handloom as a genuine international product of good quality. What is the significance of choosing 7 August for National Handloom Day? – It was on 7 August in 1905 that the formal proclamation of the “Swadeshi Movement” was made at a massive meeting in the Calcutta Town hall
- Which country became the latest and the 206th member of the Olympic family after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) approved its inclusion? – South Sudan
- 2nd edition of the Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC) Summit, which witnessed participation of the heads of states of 14 Pacific island nations, was held in which Indian city on 21 August 2015? – Jaipur
- Singapore observed which anniversary of its independence on 9 August 2015 with holding of numerous events across the country to mark the special occasion? – 50thanniversary
- Which country on 1 August 2015 became the first-ever non-European member of the European Organisation for Nuclear Research, better known as CERN? – Pakistan
- What is the name of the science and innovation museum opened in the Rashtrapati Bhavan campus, which was inaugurated by President Pranab Mukherjee on 4 August 2015? – “Navachara Kaksh”
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 17 August 2015 visited which city of UAE which is world’s first zero-carbon and car-free smart city? – Masdar
- Which High Court of the country on 18 August 2015 gave a landmark ruling that all government servants, elected representatives, members of judiciary and any other persons who get any benefit or salary from the state exchequer or public fund should send their children to primary schools run by the state education board? – Allahabad High Court (Uttar Pradesh)
- Technology behemoth Google announced a huge reorganization of the company on 10 August 2015 under which the company will be brought under a new holding company. This holding company will act as an umbrella organization for all businesses of Google also include Google as its fully owned subsidiary. What will be the name of the newly formed holding company? – Alphabet
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 13 August 2015 paid a dividend of nearly Rs. 66,000 crore to the government. This was the highest ever dividend paid by the RBI in its 80-year history. What are the main sources of RBI’s income? – Interest from Repo operations, coupon payments for holding govt. securities and interest incomes on its holdings of sovereign bonds
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDA) on 13 August 2015 announced what important policy change for Indian banks? – It allowed banks to tie up with up to 9 insurance companies under the policy of open architecture Bancassurance policy
- During August 2015, the Union Govt. launched a telemedicine initiative for rural areas in collaboration with Apollo Hospitals under which people can consult doctors through video link. What is the name given to this initiative? – SEHAT
- India’s biggest telescope – Multi-Application Solar Telescope (MAST) was inaugurated on 4 August 2015. MAST would help in the study of movements of stars and sun even in day time. It has been installed at which place? – Udaipur (Rajasthan)
- Which naval harbour on 1 August 2015 became the first in the country to get the Integrated Underwater Harbour Defence and Surveillance System (IUHDSS), an automated system capable of detecting, identifying, tracking and generating warning for surface and underwater threats? – Kochi (Kerala)
- What is the name given to Google’s Android mobile operating system’s next major update as announced by Google on 17 August 2015? – Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- What is the name of the first of its kind fully automated digital locker launched by ICICI Bank on 18 August 2015? – ‘Smart Vault’
- Who were appointed as the new Governors of Bihar and Himachal Pradesh as announced on 8 August 2015? – Ram Nath Kovind (Bihar) and Acharya Dev Vrat (Himachal Pradesh)
- Year-long birth centenary of which famous Hindi writer, playwright and actor was initiated on 8 August 2015? – Bhisham Sahni
- What is the name of the Sahitya Akademi winner renowned Kannada writer who was shot dead by two unidentified assailants in Dharwad in the morning of 30 August 2015? – M. M. Kalburgi
- Union Govt. earmarked how much fund for country’s public sector banks (PSBs) over a period of four years as announced by the Finance Ministry on 1 August 2015? – Rs. 70,000 crore
- What watershed event in the 64-year old history of India’s biggest pension fund – the Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) took place during August 2015? – For the first time, EPFO started investing in equities as an asset class
- The newest and the 18thIndian Institute of Technology (IIT) of the country was opened on 3 August 2015 with a total of 117 students. This IIT is in which city? – Palakkad (Kerala)
- Malaysian Government on 6 August 2015 confirmed that a piece of a wing that washed up on an Indian Ocean island beach last week was part of the wreckage of Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, which had mysteriously disappeared during March 2014. Malaysia Prime Minister Najib Razak confirmed this in an early morning televised address on 6 August 2015. The wing of this aircraft was found on which island of Indian Ocean? – Reunion Island
- Who on 19 August 2015 was selected as the new President of the International Amateur Athletics Federation (IAAF), the global governing body for athletics? – Sebastian Coe (Britain)
- Who became the first-ever Indian to be chosen as one of the members of the prestigious Council of the IAAF, the global governing body of athletics on 19 July 2015? – Adille Sumariwalla
- O.P. Munjal, who passed away on 13 August 2015, was the founder and Chairman of which noted business house? – Hero Cycles
- President Pranab Mukherjee’s wife and India’s First Lady passed away on 18 August 2015. What was her name? – Suvra Mukherjee
- Two Indian siblings, 5-year-old Kandarp Sharma and 8-year-old Ritwika, came to news during August 2015. Why? – became the youngest climbers to climb the Kalapathar peak in Nepal
- Indian badminton ace Saina Nehwal lost to World No.1 Carolina Marin (Spain) in the finals of the prestigious Badminton World Championshipsin Jakarta on 16 August 2015. Despite this loss, Saina made what history for the country? – She became the first Indian to reach the final of Badminton World Championship
- Sania Mirza was conferred the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award at a glittering ceremony held at the Rashtrapati Bhawan on 29 August 2015. Along with her, 16 sportspersons and five coaches were also honoured with National Sports Awards on this occasion. With this Sania Mirza became the ………………. tennis player to get the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna – Second
- Which team won the Pro-Kabaddi League (PKL) title for 2015 on 23 August 2015? – U Mumba (Mumbai)
- Which country created history by topping the medals tally at the 15th World Championships of Athletics that concluded on 30 August 2015 at Beijing? – Kenya
- What is the name of the new crossover vehicle launched by Maruti Suzuki on 5 August 2015? – “S-Cross”
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.