06 Jan, 2016
6528 Times Read.
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 1 July 2015 launched the “Digital India Week”, as part of the “Digital India” initiative to give India a big push in digital technology. What is the primary objective of “Digital India”? – To bridge the digital divide by bringing in large investments in technology manufacturing
- India and Pakistan were given membership of which international organisation on 10 July 2015, which is often seen by Russia as a counterweight to Western alliances? – Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)
- A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, the 11th President of India and a pioneer of the country’s space and missile programmes, passed away on 27 July 2015. He passed away after collapsing during a lecture at the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) in Shillong (Meghalaya). In which year was he conferred with the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian honour? – 1997
- Indian economy crossed which landmark figure during 2014 as disclosed in the data released by the World Bank in Washington on 2 July 2015? – $2-trillion mark
- Which country became the first country to eliminate the transmission of HIV and syphilis from mother to baby as announced by the World Health Organisation (WHO) on 1 July 2015? – Cuba
- History was made on 14 July 2015 as NASA spacecraft ‘New Horizons’ made a flyby of the dwarf planet Pluto some 4.8 billion kilometers from Earth. During the 30-minute dash past Pluto and its entourage of five moons, New Horizons performed a carefully choreographed series of manoeuvres to position its cameras and science instruments for hundreds of observations. When this nuclear-powered probe was sent from Earth? – January 2006
- Which town of Punjab’s Gurdaspur district came to news on 27 July 2015 with the incident of a huge terrorist attack taking place here resulting in the death of seven persons? – Dinanagar
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY) in Patna on 25 July 2015. What is the primary objective of DDUGJY? – Facilitating 24×7 supply of power in rural areas of the country
- What history was made in the bilateral relations between United States and Cuba on 20 July 2015? – For the first time since severing ties in 1961, they reopened embassies in each other’s capitals
- What is the official name of the so-called “BRICS Bank” that was formally launched on 21 July 2015 in Shanghai (China)? – New Development Bank (NDB)
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the “Skill India Mission” on 15 July 2015 on the occasion of the World Youth Skills Day. What are the main objectives of the “Skill India Mission”? – To converge and monitor all skill development schemes across the country, promoting entrepreneurship and equipping 500 million Indians with skills by 2022 that would enable them to find jobs
- Which bank on 4 July 2015 became the first in the country to launch the MUDRA Card, under the Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana (PMMY) scheme? – Corporation Bank
- The World Bank during July 2015 announced its clearance of a $650 million loan for a major project of Indian Railways. Which project is this? – Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor
- The Sinhastha Kumbh Mela, held after every 12 years on Godavari River, started at which place in Maharashtra on 14 July 2015? – Trimbakeshwar (Nasik)
- The United Nations (UN) issued first-of-its-kind guidance for countries on 1 July 2015. This first-of-its-kind guidance is associated with which issue? – Health risks associated with heat-waves
- History was created on 10 July 2015 when Indian space agency ISRO launched its heaviest commercial mission that carried five satellites on board PSLV-C28 from the spaceport of Sriharikota (AP). With the overall mass of five satellites is about 1,440kg, this launch became the heaviest commercial mission ever undertaken by ISRO. The 5 satellites launched through this mission belonged to which country? – Britain
- The 2-day 7th BRICS Summit, which concluded on 9 July 2015 and featured five of the largest developing economies of the world, was held at which city of Russia? – Ufa
- In a first-of-its-kind initiative, Union Govt. on 8 July 2015 appointed an executive from the private sector to head a public sector financial institution. This appointment was done for the post of Managing Director and CEO of National Housing Bank (NHB). What is the name of the executive appointed to head NHB? – Sriram Kalyanaraman
- In an historic development, comprehensive deal on Iran’s nuclear programme was reached on 14 July 2015 which brought to end a 12 year stand-off between Iran and western powers that had threatened to trigger a new war in the Middle East. The breakthrough was achieved on the 18th day of almost uninterrupted negotiations held at Vienna (Austria) involving foreign ministers from Iran and six western countries. Which six countries are these who are jointly addressed as the “P5+1” group? – The US, UK, Russia, China, France and Germany
- Which Indian company on 21 July 2015 achieved the unique feat of overtaking its parent company in “Market Valuation” and thus becoming the first Indian company to achieve this feat? – Maruti Suzuki
- Which city became the first city in Olympic history to be awarded both summer and winter Games after it was awarded the hosting of the 2022 Winter Olympics on 31 July 2015? – Beijing
- At least 27 pilgrims were killed in a stampede in Andhra Pradesh on 14 July 2015 in the sacred Maha Pushkaralu of river Godavari that started on the day. This stampede took place at which place? – Rajahmundry
- What is the name of the Indigenous Visibility Measuring System that has been installed at New Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport recently with which the airport has become the first Airport in the country to have 10 indigenous systems operating in all its three runways? – “Drishti”
- Who was appointed as the new Chairman of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) by the Union Govt. on 27 July 2015? – R. S. Sharma
- Who are the two Indians who were among the five winners of Asia’s coveted Ramon Magsaysay Award that were announced on 29 July 2015? – Sanjeev Chaturvedi and Anshu Gupta
- Who was named as the first Chief of the Beijing-backed Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), which is being established as an alternative financial entity to the U.S. and Europe-dominated banking institutions? – Jin Liqun
- Which celebrity during July 2015 made the country proud by successfully completing the Ironman Triathlon held in Zurich, which is considered one of the world’s toughest races? – Milind Soman
- Which railway coach manufacturing entity of the Indian Railway became the first in the world to have manufactured 50 thousand railway coaches, for which a programme was held on 6 July 2015? – Integral Coach Factory (ICF), Chennai
- Maharashtra’s first Indian Institute of Management (IIM) was inaugurated during July 2015. This IIM is situated at which place? – Nagpur
- The 14th Special Olympics Games (Summer) were inaugurated on 25 July 2015 in which city? – Los Angeles (United States)
- A temple trust in Nepal associated with the world’s biggest animal sacrifice event held every five years made a historic announcement on 28 July 2015 to ban the practice of animal sacrifice in this festival. This announcement has gone down well with animal lovers worldwide with lives of millions of animals expected to be saved. What is the name of this festival? – “Gadhimai Festival”
- The Prime Minister of the world’s fourth smallest nation, which is under direct threat by rising sea levels due to climate change, during July 2015 appealed for help from European leaders to stop his country disappearing from the face of the Earth. Which country is this? – Tuvalu
- French Formula One driver Jules Bianchi, who sustained serious head injuries at last year’s (2014) Japanese Grand Prix, passed away on 17 July 2015. He was racing for which F1 team at this Grand Prix? – Manor
- Who won the Tour de France 2015 on 26 July 2015 to become the first Briton to won this most prestigious cycling championship twice? – Chris Froome
- The Board for Control of Cricket in India (BCCI) on 20 July 2015 scrapped which over five-decade old domestic trophy from its calendar due to packed schedule? – Duleep Trophy
- Former South Africa cricket captain Clive Rice passed away on 28 July 2015 at the age of 66. He was known for which historic moment in South African cricket history? – South Africa made its historic comeback to international cricket in 1991 under his captaincy
- Chile created history by winning the Copa America tournament for 2015 on 4 July 2015. The host team defeated the much-fancied Argentina by 4-1 on penalties to win the prestigious tournament. This was the first Copa America title for Chile. Chile had reached Copa America finals how many times without winning the tournament? – Four times
- What is the name of the 10-year old golf wonder-kid from India who created golfing sensation by winning two major titles within a week? – Shubham Jaglan
- Novak Djokovic defeated Roger Federer by 7-6, 6-7, 6-4, 6-3 in the men’s singles final of Wimbledon 2015 on 12 July 2015 to bring to a disappointing end Federer’s bid to become the oldest champion of the Open Era at the championships. With this win Djokovic has won how many singles titles at Wimbledon? – Three
- Serena Williams (US) won her sixth Wimbledon women’s singles title on 11 July 2015. This was her fourth Grand Slam championship in a row and 21st Grand Slam title overall. Whom she defeated in this final, who had made into her first Grand Slam final appearance? – Garbine Muguruza (Spain)
- Indian tennis veteran Leander Paes won the mixed doubles event of the Wimbledon Championship with legendary Martina Hingis on 12 July 2015. This was Paes’ …………….Grand Slam title –16th
- Sania Mirza of India created history on 11 July 2015 when she won the Wimbledon women’s doubles title with her Swiss partner Martina Hingis. What history was made by Sania in this title win? – She became the first female player from the country to win a women’s doubles Grand Slam trophy
- Who became the sixth Indian to win a Grand Slam junior title after winning the boys doubles trophy at the Wimbledon championships on 12 July 2015? – Sunil Nagal
- Which country won FIFA Women’s Football World Cup 2015 on 5 July 2015? – The United States
- Which Indian woman cricketer made history on 6 July 2015 by becoming the first Indian and second in women’s ODI history to complete 5000 runs? – Mithali Raj
| General Awareness | General Awareness 2016 | Monthly General Awareness | July 2015 | At a Glance |
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.