05 Jan, 2016
4029 Times Read.
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
- Nek Chand Saini, who passed away on 12 June 2015 at the age of 90, was the creator of which iconic creation in Chandigarh? – Rock Garden
- India and Bangladesh on 6 June 2015 ratified the Land Boundary Agreement (LBA) to settle the land boundary dispute between the two countries through exchange of territories. This ratification thus sealed an agreement signed by the then Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and her Bangladeshi counterpart Mujib-ur-Rehman. When that path-breaking agreement was signed? – 1974
- A first of its kind operation of operation was carried out by the Indian Army on 9 June 2015 when it conducted an anti-terrorist operation on a foreign soil for the first time. This bold operation was carried out in which country with strategic support from that country? – Myanmar
- In one of the worst attacks on the Indian Army in two decades, insurgents on 4 June 2015 ambushed a military convoy in Manipur killing at least 20 army personnel and injuring 11 others. The incident is being described as the worst casualties the Army has suffered since the Kargil War of 1999. It took place in which district of Manipur? – Chandel
- In a major boost to connectivity between India and Bangladesh, two bus services were flagged off on 6 June 2015 that will link West Bengal to three North Eastern states of India via Bangladeshi capital Dhaka. Which 3 states are these? – Assam, Tripura and Meghalaya
- For the first time a move is being made to involve private players in running of passenger trains in the country as disclosed in the report prepared by a committee set up by the Union Govt. The committee has recommended the entry of private companies in operation and maintenance of railways, and has pitched for attracting talent from outside for a radical revamp of Indian Railways. Who headed this committee? – Bibek Debroy (Member, NITI Aayog)
- Which Guinness World Record was made as the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi led the country to mark the first International Day of Yoga on 21 June 2015 by doing Yoga at the Rajpath? – Largest number of people doing yoga at one venue
- Which city on 3 June 2015 became the sixth in India to have the metro rail system? – Jaipur (Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje flagged off the inaugural train of state capital city’s metro rail system on 9.6 km long route from Mansarovar to Chandpole. Thus Jaipur’s metro rail system was thrown open to the public and Jaipur became the sixth Indian city to have the metro rail system after Kolkata, Delhi NCR, Bangalore, Gurgaon and Mumbai)
- Which city became the seventh Indian city to have a metro rail system after unveiling of the first metro train on 29 June 2015? – Chennai
- Which prominent European country’s Parliament on 9 June 2015 voted overwhelmingly in favour of a bill that seeks to hold a referendum to gauge the mood of its citizens on the issue of remaining part of the European Union (EU)? – Britain
- Which historic town of Punjab completed 350 years of its establishment on 19 June 2015, with the event being marked by a huge function? – Anandpur Sahib
- Food group Nestle on 5 June 2015 withdrew the highly popular “Maggi” noodles from sale in India following a food scare sparked by reports of excess lead and presence of harmful MSG in it. The “Maggi” brand of instant noodles is under fire in India as reports of presence of these harmful substances have been reported from labs of several states across the country. What is the name of the food inspector belonging to the Uttar Pradesh FDA who had taken the first step against Nestle’s “Maggi”noodles in 2014 for allegedly flouting food safety norms? – V.K. Pandey (V.K. Pandey, the District Food Officer (DFO) of Barabanki district, had taken the first step nearly 15 months ago against Nestle’s Maggi noodles brand)
- Who was appointed as the new Central Vigilance Commissioner (CVC) by the Union Government on 8 June 2015? – K.V. Chowdary
- On 6 June 2015 former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee was conferred with which award by the Bangladesh Govt. for his role in the country’s independence struggle and consolidating India’s friendship with the nation? – “Bangladesh Liberation War Honour”
- PSU-based power generation machinery maker Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) during June 2015 secured the single-largest order in its history for setting up a 4,000 MW (5×800 MW) supercritical thermal power project in a state. Which state is this? – Telangana
- Who became the first 100% visually-challenged person to gain entry into the prestigious Indian Foreign Service (IFS) as announced on 12 June 2015? – NL Beno Zephine
- 15 June 2015 marked which anniversary of the Magna Carta, the historic charter (agreement) signed between the King of England and the English nobility which limited the power of the throne and was the first significant limit placed on governmental authority in the world? –800th
- Union Govt. on 5 June 2015 announced plans to establish country’s 13th major port in Maharashtra with an investment of Rs. 6,000 crore. This port would be established at which place near Mumbai? – Dahanu
- Union Government during June 2015 completed the construction of a memorial for a former Prime Minister at Delhi’s “Ekta Sthal Memorial Complex”. Who is this former Prime Minister? – P.V. Narasimha Rao
- The 2-day Summit of G7 countries was held on 7-8 June 2015 at which place? – Schloss Elmau (Germany)
- What is the name of the online forex platform launched by State Bank of India (SBI) on 19 June 2015 that enables customers to book their foreign exchange transactions online? – SBI eforex
- Who was appointed as the next Non-Executive Chairman of Infosys by company’s Board on 5 June 2015? – R.Seshasayee
- What is the name of the Law Minister of Delhi Govt. who was arrested by the Delhi Police on charges of a fake law degree on 9 June 2015, an incident that further escalated the tussle between the Centre and the Delhi Govt.? – Jitender Singh Tomar
- Which Indian male Badminton player stunned World No. 1 Chen Long in the Indonesian Open Super Series badminton tournament to reach men’s semi-finals on 5 June 2015? – Parupalli Kashyap
- Who won the men’s singles title of French Open 2015 by defeating the much-fancied Novak Djokovic (Serbia) in the finals on 6 June 2015 to become the oldest winner of the French Open in 25 years? – Stanislas Wawrinka (Switzerland)
- Serena Williams (US) won her 20th Grand Slam title and third French Open women’s singles title at Roland Garros on 6 June 2015. Whom she defeated in the final? – Lucie Safarova (Czech Republic)
- Who on 4 June 2015 became the first Indian umpire after S. Venkataraghavan to be inducted in the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Elite Panel of Umpires? – Sundaram Ravi
- In a surprising development, FIFA President Sepp Blatter resigned on 2 June 2015 just four days after he was re-elected to a fifth term as president of the World’s most powerful football body. This resignation was in the face of a U.S.-led corruption investigation that has plunged FIFA into the worst crisis in its history. Blatter was heading FIFA since which year? – 1988
- Charles Correa, one of India’s greatest architects and urban planners, passed away on 16 June 2015 at the age of 84. He was known for adapting his designs to local climates and building styles. He was the chief architect of which famous satellite suburb of the country? – Navi Mumbai
- Former bureaucrat M.N. Buch, who passed away on 6 June 2015, was known for role in developing which Indian city with his modern urban planning concepts? – Bhopal
- Which team won the National Basketball Association (NBA) title for 2015 and thus ended its 40-year long title drought on 16 June 2015? – Golden State Warriors
- Vijender Singh, the first and only Indian boxer to have won an Olympic medal, came to news on 29 June 2015 for which reason? – He announced turning professional boxer which means that he will no longer be able to represent India
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.