27 Dec, 2015
3946 Times Read.
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
- In an important development, India’s 41-year-old border issue with Bangladesh was settled on 7 May 2015 as Indian Parliament unanimously passed a historic bill to operationalise the Land Boundary Agreement that provides for exchange of territories. This agreement became possible as the Lok Sabha, showing rare unanimity, passed the Constitution (119th Amendment) Bill. With the passing of this bill which Constitutional amendment came into effect? – 100th Constitutional amendment
- Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on 7 May 2015 announced decision to set up a high-level panel to examine the issue of minimum alternate tax (MAT) on foreign institutional investors (FIIs). Who will lead this panel? – Justice A P Shah
- Which noted banker of India was on 11 May 2015 appointed as the first President of the $100-billion New Development Bank (NDB) of the BRICS countries, to be based in China’s financial hub Shanghai? – KV Kamath
- Prime Minister David Cameron scored a stunning election victory in Britain on 8 May 2015 as his Conservative Party gained majority on its own by winning 331 seats. With this resounding victory, the Conservatives will be able to govern the country alone for the first time since which year? – 1992
- The National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC) during May 2015 recommended to the Centre to raise the ‘creamy layer’ criterion for other backward castes (OBCs) from the present annual salary of Rs. 6 lakh to what new level? – Rs. 10.50 lakh
- On the second day of his state visit to China on 15 May 2015, Indian Prime Minister made the announcement of the opening of the second route for the Kailash-Manasarovar Yatra by China from June 2015. This second route would be through which pass to complement the existing route through the Lipulekh Pass in Uttarakhand? – Nathu La
- The Supreme Court in its order given on 13 May 2015 said that picture of only three officials can feature in government advertisements that are placed by the centre and state governments to publicize various schemes. Which three officials are these? – The President, the Prime Minister and the Chief Justice of India
- Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. (DMRC Limited) completed how many years of its establishment during May 2015? – 20 years
- The Union Cabinet on 21 May 2015 gave its approval for the revival of closed urea unit of Fertilizer Corporation India Limited (FCIL) at Sindri (Jharkhand), for which an investment of Rs. 6,000 will be made. This plant is not in operation since which year? – 2002
- Who was named as the new Chancellor of the Nalanda University on 30 May 2015 to replace Nobel laureate Amartya Sen? – George Yeo (Singapore)
- Which village of Haryana state came to news with the discovery of huge water resources from a field on 5 May 2015, a discovery some experts believed to be part of the mystic Saraswati River described in Rigveda? – Mugalwali
- Who was appointed as the Chairman of the 30-member Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) that was constituted on 18 May 2015 to look into the provisions of the controversial Land Acquisition Bill? – S.S. Ahluwalia
- A new strategic naval base of the Indian Navy named “INS Sardar Patel” was commissioned on 9 May 2015. This base has been established in which coastal city of Gujarat? – Porbandar
- On 20 May 2015 which anniversary of India’s first successful expedition of Mt. Everest was observed? – 50th
- On 26 May 2015 who was appointed as the head of the newly constituted committee that will give recommendations to recast the model of the so-called public-private-partnership (PPP) model in India? – Vijay Kelkar
- History was made for the Indian Army on 9 May 2015 when for the first time one of its contingents took part in the international military parade, as part of Russia’s Victory Day commemoration. This contingent was from which regiment of the Indian Army? – Nine Grenadiers regiment
- India and Iran on 6 May 2015 signed an agreement to develop a strategic port in southeast Iran. This was done despite U.S. pressure not to rush into any such trade agreements before world powers clinch a final nuclear accord with Iran. Which Iranian port is involved in this agreement? – Chabahar Port
- Which country became the first country in the world to give its approval to same-sex marriage by a popular vote on 24 May 2015? – Ireland
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 10 May 2015 inaugurated a revamped and modernized 2.5 million tonne steel plant of IISCO on the occasion of his maiden visit to West Bengal. This plant is situated at which? – Burnpur
- A Mirage-2000 fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force (IAF) successfully landed on the Yamuna Expressway near Mathura on 21 May 2015. What was the objective of this first-of-its-kind operation of the IAF? – To make the IAF fighters capable of using national highways for emergency landing
- What is the name of the exclusive television channel for farmers, which was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 26 May 2015? – DD Kisan
- The Karnataka High Court on 11 May 2015 overturned a trial court judgment and acquitted AIADMK chief and former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalitha along withthree of her associates in an 18-year-old disproportionate assets case. This case is associated with which tenure of her as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu? – 1991-96
- The boxing bout between which two boxers held on 2 May 2015 was billed by numerous hyperboles such as the “Fight of the Century” and “The Battle for Greatness”? – Floyd Mayweather, Jr. and Manny Pacquiao (It was won by Floyd Mayweather, Jr. who defeated his Pilipino opponent on points)
- A new plant to produce the paper for high-denomination currency notes domestically was inaugurated by the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on 30 May 2015. This plant is at which place? – Hoshangabad (Madhya Pradesh)
- What is the name of India’s largest online fashion retailer which after months of speculation, finally closed its website to become an app-only service from 15 May 2015? – Myntra
- Which state govt. launched ‘Niramaya’, a free drug distribution scheme to cover whole state on 1 May 2015? – Odisha
- Mumbai Indians won their second IPL title as they defeated Chennai Super Kings (CSK) by a convincing margin of 41-runs in the finals of the 8th edition of IPL played at Kolkata’s Eden Gardens on 24 May 2015. This was the second IPL title for Mumbai. With this loss, CSK has now lost how many IPL finals? – Four
- 67-year old former nurse Aruna Shanbaug passed away in a Mumbai hospital on 18 May 2015 after being in coma for 42 years after a sexual assault by a ward-boy in 1973. What is the name of this Mumbai hospital in which she used to serve and passed 42 years of her life, being taken care-off by a group of hospital nurses and doctors during this duration? – Kings Edward Memorial (KEM) Hospital
- Which country won the 2015 Sudirman Cup (for Badminton) on 17 May 2015? – China
- Who won the 2015 Man International Booker Prize as announced on 20 May 2015? – Laszlo Krasznahorkai (Hungary)
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.