26 Dec, 2015
2650 Times Read.
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
- Which state became the first state in India to make minimum educational qualification an eligibility for Panchayat elections by passing the requisite bill on 27 March 2015? – Rajasthan
- During March 2015 Narendra Modi-led NDA govt. was successful in passing which important bill associated with economic reforms in the country in the Parliament? – Insurance Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2015 (The bill raised the FDI cap in insurance sector from 26% to 49% among several other provisions)
- The Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on 19 March 2015 constituted the ‘Kayakalp’ Council, which will recommend innovative methods and processes for the improvement, betterment and transformation of the Indian Railways. Who was appointed as the Chairman of this council? – Ratan Tata
- An ambitious multi-purpose and multi-modal platform PRAGATI was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 25 March 2015. The main objective of this platform is to address the grievances of the common man and simultaneously monitoring and reviewing important government programmes and projects. What is full-form of PRAGATI? – Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation
- In an important development the Supreme Court on 24 March 2015 declared Section 66A of the Information and Technology Act as unconstitutional. What was the objective of this section? – This section gave the police powers to arrest those who post objectionable content online and also provided for a three-year jail term
- Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) leader Mufti Mohammad Sayeed on 1 March 2015 took over as the new Chief Minister of Jammu & Kashmir at an oath ceremony held at Jammu. Which BJP leader took over as state’s Deputy Chief Minister? – Nirmal Singh
- Indian Railways on 11 March 2015 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that will raise Rs. 1.5 lakh crore worth of funds to finance its infrastructure. This is the largest-ever funding in Railways’ history. This historic MoU was signed with which financial entity? – Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC)
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 4 March 2015 lowered its policy repo rate by 25 basis points. This was the second cut this year on the back of easing inflation and a government commitment to fiscal discipline. What was the new Repo rate after this cut? – 7.5%
- The Union Govt. on 20 March 2015 gave its approval for a flagship skill development scheme to cover 24 lakh persons and to replace the earlier STAR Scheme of the UPA era. What is the name of this new scheme? – Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
- Renowned journalist Vinod Mehta, who passed away on 8 March 2015, was founder of which famous weekly magazine? – Outlook
- Australia lifted the ICC World Cup 2015 on 29 March 2015 by defeating New Zealand in the final by 7 wickets at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG). This was the 5th ODI cricket World Cup title for Australia thus further cementing its reputation of being the most dominant team in ODI cricket. Who was chosen as the Player of Tournament this edition of the World Cup? – Mitchell Starc (Australia)
- Former Prime Minister and veteran parliamentarian Atal Bihari Vajpayee was conferred with the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian honour, on 27 March 2015. This award was conferred on him by President Pranab Mukherjee, who in a departure from protocol, drove to Vajpayee’s residence in New Delhi to give the honour. Atal Bihari Vajpayee became the ………….awardee of the Bharat Ratna – 44th
- Which film personality was chosen for the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2014 as announced by the Union Govt. on 23 March 2015? – Shashi Kapoor
- Which organisation was conferred with the Gandhi Peace Prize for 2014 as announced on 27 March 2015? – Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
- Who headed the 20th Law Commission that submitted its 255th issue (pertaining to electoral reforms) to the Union Law Ministry on 12 March 2015? – Justice Ajit Prakash Shah (The 20th Law Commission was established in 2013 under the Chairmanship of Judge of Supreme Court D.K Jain. Its tenure was fixed till 2015.The terms of reference of the Commission include review/repeal obsolete law, examine the existing laws, revise central acts of general importance etc. In November 2013 the Centre appointed former Chief Justice of Delhi High Court Justice Ajit Prakash Shah as the new chairman of the Commission as Justice Jain took as president National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission)
- Cyclone Pam hit which tiny country of South Pacific Ocean during March 2015? – Vanuatu (Cyclone Pam was considered one of the Pacific Ocean’s most powerful ever storms and it struck Vanuatu with winds up to 340 kph)
- Which north African country was hit by a terror attack during March 2015 in which gunmen stormed country’s national museum and killed 19 persons including 17 foreigners? – Tunisia
- During March 2015 which three African countries signed an initial agreement on sharing water from the Nile River? – Egypt, Ethiopia and Sudan
- Ola, which is the market leader in the personal transportation space in India, announced acquiring which of its competitors for $200 million on 2 March 2015? – TaxiForSure
- 62nd National Awards were declared on 24 March 2015. Which film bagged the prestigious Best Feature Film Award? – “Court”
- Indian badminton ace Saina Nehwal’s efforts to win her first All England Championship went in vain as she lost in the finals of this prestigious championship on 8 March 2015. She was defeated by which player? – Carolina Marin (Spain)
- Lee Kuan Yew, who passed away on 23 March 2015, was the architect and the first Prime Minister of which Asian country? – Singapore
- Which former Union Minister belonging to Congress was chosen for the prestigious Saraswati Samman for year 2014 as announced on 9 March 2015? – M. Veerappa Moily
- Who became the highest run scorer in an ICC World Cup match by scoring an unbeaten 237 runs on 21 March 2015? – Martin Guptill (New Zealand) – Guptill scored 237 not out against the West Indies at Wellington in the 4th quarter-final of the ICC World Cup 2015 to make highest runs in a World Cup innings. He broke the record made by West Indian Chris Gayle (215) against Zimbabwe on 24 February 2015.
- Karnataka won the Ranji Trophy title for 2015 by thrashing opponents Tamil Nadu by an innings and 217 runs on the last day of the Ranji Trophy cricket tournament final at the Wankhede stadium in Mumbai on 12 March 2015. With this win Karnataka has won this prestigious title how many times? – Eight
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.