25 Dec, 2015
2837 Times Read.
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 1 January 2015 announced the decision to replace the 65-year-old Planning Commission with a new organisation named NITI Aayog. The term NITI is named after which newly formed body? – National Institution for Transforming India (NITI)
- On 5 January 2015 who was named as the first Vice-Chairman of the newly announced NITI Aayog (Policy Commission), which replaced Planning Commission? – Arvind Panagariya
- What is the name of the French satirical newspaper that came under attack by two masked gunmen on 7 January 2015 resulting in the death of paper’s editor and 11 other people? – ‘Charlie Hebdo’
- U.S. President Barack Obama arrived on 25 January 2015 on his historic 3-day visit to India. Prime Minister Narendra Modi broke with protocol to meet the President as he landed in New Delhi. What was a historic fact associated with this India visit of Barack Obama? – He became the first sitting U.S. president to visit India twice
- Which anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi’s return to India from South Africa was observed on 9 January 2015? – 100th
- Who took over as the new Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) on 14 January 2015? – Alur Seelin Kiran Kumar (A.S. Kiran Kumar)
- Union Govt. divested how much of its stake in Coal India Limited (CIL) during January 2015? – 10% (This stake sale was oversubscribed 1.05 times and fetched about Rs. 22,600 crore. This was the biggest ever share sale by any private or public sector company in India)
- Which Northeastern state of India on 15 January 2015 officially lifted prohibition ending almost two decades of prohibition in the state? – Mizoram
- Union Government announced 104 Padma awards consisting of the Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri on the eve of country’s 66th Republic Day on 25 January 2015. How many personalities were conferred with the Padma Vibhushan, which is country’s second highest civilian award after Bharat Ratna? – Nine (9)
– These nine Padma Vibhushan awardees include BJP patriarch Lal Krishna Advani, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, senior advocate K.K. Venugopal, nuclear scientist M.R. Srinivasan, philanthropist Veerendra Heggade, Sanskrit scholar Swami Rambhadracharya, actors Amitabh Bachchan and Dilip Kumar and Karim Al Hussiani Aga Khan (the spiritual leader of the world’s Ismaili Muslims). 20 Padma Bhushan and 75 Padma Shri awards were also announced.
- How much reduction in Repo Rate was announced by the RBI on 15 January 2015, which was the first reduction in Repo Rate during 2015? – 25 basis points (After this new Repo Rate stood at 7.75%)
- India’s first CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) based train was flagged-off by the Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on 15 January 2015 from which station? – Rewari (Haryana)
- India’s first hi-speed Rural Broadband Network (HSRBN) was commissioned in which district of Kerala and was declared the first district in the country linked to the National Optic Fibre Network (NOFN) on 12 January 2015? – Idukki District
- Who took over as the new President of Sri Lanka on 9 January 2015 after President Mahinda Rajapaksa was defeated in the Presidential elections held on 8 January? – Maithripala Sirisena
- R.K. Laxman, believed to be the greatest cartoonist India has produced, passed away on 26 January 2015 in a hospital in Mumbai at the age of 93. He was best known for his daily cartoon strip “You said it” that featured the common man, his legendary creation. This iconic carton strip was published in which newspaper? – ‘The Times of India’
- Which historic move pertaining to Scotland was started by the British government on 22 January 2015? – It began the process of transfer of power to Scotland from this day
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled the “Beti Bachao Beti Padhao” campaign on 22 January 2015. This campaign was launched from which district of Haryana which has amongst the lowest child sex ratios in the country? – Panipat
- What was the interest rate (notified on 20 January 2015) for investments in Sukanya Samriddhi Account (SSA), the special deposit scheme for girl child that was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during 2014 and is being launched on 22 January 2015? – 9.1% p.a.
- Union Government on 21 January 2015 launched a new plan that seeks to preserve and rejuvenate the rich cultural heritage of the country. What is the name of this plan? – National Heritage Development and Augmentation Yojana (HRIDAY)
- The Country Wide Tiger Assessment Report (CWTAR) for 2014 was released on 20 January 2015 by Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar. The report estimated the tiger population in the country at around 2,226, a rise of over 30% since the last count in 2010. Tiger population had dipped to 1,411 in 2006 but has improved since then. Which state has the largest number of tigers according to this report? – Karnataka (According to this report Karnataka had the largest number of 406 tigers followed by Uttarakhand (340), Tamil Nadu (229), Madhya Pradesh (208), Maharashtra (190) and West Bengal (76))
- Renowned political scientist and theorist Rajni Kothari passed away on 19 January 2015 in Delhi. He was the founder of which prestigious institution engaged in research in the field of political and human sciences? –
- What is the name of the Yemeni President who resigned from his post on 22 January 2015 due to pressure from Houthi rebels, with whom he had tried to enter into an agreement? – Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi
- Who was appointed as the new Chairman of the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) on 19 January 2015 to replace Leela Samson who quit from the post? – Pahlaj Nihalani (Noted Hindi film producer)
- Vistara, the airline joint-venture between Tata Group and Singapore Airlines (SIA) started its operations from 9 January 2015. This first flight of the airline was between which two cities? – Delhi to Mumbai
- In an important development for Indian defence and aerospace sector, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) handed over the first indigenously manufactured Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) to Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and Air chief Marshal Anup Raha at Bengaluru on 17 January 2015. The LCA project was approved by the Government of India in which year? – 1983
- ‘Gyan Sangam’ – the 2-day bankers retreat was held on 2-3 January 2015 at – Pune
- Who became the first ever woman officer to lead the ceremonial Guard of Honour by leading the Guard of Honour contingent that was inspected by the U.S. President Barack Obama at Rashtrapathi Bhavan on 25 January 2015? – Wing Commander Pooja Thakur
- Subhash Ghisingh, who passed away on 29 January 2015 at the age of 78, was the founder of which party associated with Gorkhaland movement of West Bengal? – Gorkha National Liberation Front (GNLF)
- Who was appointed as the new Foreign Secretary after the Union Govt., in a surprising move, sacked Sujatha Singh about seven months before her tenure on 28 January 2015? – Dr. S. Jaishankar
- Who won the men’s singles title of Australian Open for 2015? – Novak Djokovic (Serbia)
- Who won the women’s singles title of Australian Open for 2015? – Serena Williams (US)
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.