07 Feb, 2018
526 Times Read.
Daily Current Affairs,
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
1) Kolkata’s iconic “Rabindra Setu” (Howrah Bridge) completed how many years during February 2018? – 75
Explanation: “Rabindra Setu” (popularly known as Howrah Bridge), the iconic cantilever bridge in Kolkata, completed 75 years of its opening on 3 February 2018. The bridge is over Hooghly River and connects the two cities of Howrah and Kolkata (Calcutta).
– Howrah Bridge was commissioned on 3 February 1943 as it replaced an old pontoon bridge at the same location, which was set up in 1874. On 14 June 1965 it was renamed Rabindra Setu after the great Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore.
– Out of total steel required for the historic bridge, only 3,000 tonnes were supplied from England. The remaining 23,000 tonnes were supplied by India’s Tata Steel and even the erection work was reassigned to a local engineering firm of Howrah – the Braithwaite, Burn and Jessop Construction Co.
2) Maldivian President Abdulla Yameen declared a 15-day state of emergency in the island country on 5 February 2018 while Chief Justice of Supreme Court Abdulla Saeed was arrested in the early hours of 6 February 2018. What is the main cause for emergency declaration of President Yameen? – The Supreme Court ruling that overturned terrorism convictions against nine of his opponents
Explanation: The Supreme Court of the Maldives had on 1 February 2018 overturned terrorism charges against nine opponents of President Abdulla Yameen and had said that these charges were illegal. The apex court had also annulled the 13-year jail sentence of country’s exiled former president Mohamed Nasheed.
– But President Yameen didn’t enforce Supreme Court’s order and called it an infringement of national security and public interest. On 5 February 2018 the government imposed 15-day emergency that gave security forces sweeping powers to make arrests and curtailed the authority of the judiciary.
– Soon after the emergency declaration, soldiers forced their way into the Supreme Court building. Chief Justice Abdulla Saeed and Judge Ali Hameed were arrested in the early hours of 6 February. Former President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom, an estranged half-brother of President Yameen and who has sided with the opposition, was also arrested.
– However, the Supreme Court caved in to the pressure and revoked its order of 1 February and tried to resolve the confrontation with the President.
3) What are the most important aspects associated with the All India Tiger Census 2018 that was kicked-off during February 2018? – This tiger census is employing the most modern technology ever used and is relying on digital methods of data collection
Explanation: All India Tiger Census 2018, which is largest survey of wildlife anywhere in the world, was kicked-off during February 2018. This Census is using more technology, including a mobile app, with more intensive ground coverage and a higher focus on the northeast to determine the country’s tigers. The Census is being undertaken by the National Tiger Conservation Authority and Wildlife Institute of India.
– The ground staff involved in the count will be using a mobile app, MSTrIPES, for the first time. On the other hand more units of high-resolution digital cameras are being employed. The last census, in 2014, had estimated India’s tiger population at 2,226, up from 1,706 in 2010.
– However, the basic census methodology – double sampling based on ground-based surveys for tiger signs and actual images captured on camera-traps, along with statistical extrapolation – remains unchanged. It was first used in 2006 after the previous “pugmark” surveys were found woefully inaccurate.
4) What is the name of the campaign started by search engine giant Google in India from 5 February 2018 to create about Internet safety? – #SecurityCheckKiya
Explanation: #SecurityCheckKiya (Hindi for “Did you do a Security Check?”) is the name given to the awareness campaign started by Google India that primarily aims to create security awareness among young and first-time internet users. The campaign was started from 5 February 2018, on the eve of the Safer Internet Day.
– The campaign outlines basic steps users can take to protect themselves from account hijacks, safeguard Android devices from malware, and secure personal data in the event of a device loss.
| Current Affairs | Current Affairs 2018 | IAS | SBI | IBPS | Banking | Bank PO | Banking Awareness | Daily Current Affairs | Best Current Affairs | 2018 Current Affairs | February 2018 | Current Affairs |
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.