01 Feb, 2015
8696 Times Read.
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
The 2015 National Games of India got underway on 31 January 2015 at the new Greenfield Stadium in Kariyavattom (Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala) with a dazzling 3-hour long inauguration function. These National Games, to be held over 15 days period (31 Jan to 14 Feb 2015), will feature all States and Union Territories of the country. It is the second time that Kerala is hosting the national games after it hosted the 27th National Games in 1987. The 33 gaming events under these Games would be held in seven different districts of the state of Kerala.
Quick Facts of 35th National Games
– Who inaugurated these Games? – M. Venkaiah Naidu (Union Minister for Urban Development)
– Who is the Goodwill Ambassador of these Games?– Sachin Tendulkar
– What is the motto (slogan) of these Games? – Get Set Play
– What is the mascot of these Games? – Ammu (The Great Hornbill, the State Bird of Kerala)
– Which team led the March Past of the athletes during the Opening Ceremony? – Services (By virtue of being the overall champions of the 34th National Games held in Ranchi in 2011)
– Who is the main sponsor (Platinum Sponsor) of these Games? – Karbonn Mobile
– How many gold medals (total) are at stake in these games? – 414 (total medals are 1369 with 414 Gold, 414 Silver and 541 Bronze)
History of National Games of India
– The genesis of the National Games is in the Olympic movement, which gathered momentum in the country in the 1920s.
– Aimed at promoting Olympic Sports in the country, the National Games in India was envisaged as the Indian Olympic Games in its initial years. The culmination of this movement was the launching of the 9th edition of the Indian Olympic Games at Lahore in undivided Punjab in 1924.
– D. Sondhi is known as the father of these Games. He was the first Secretary of the Punjab Olympic Association.
– The competitions were held every two years in a major city of the country ever since.
– From 1940, the Indian Olympic Games was held as National Games.
– This event comprises of various sports disciplines in which sportsmen from the different states of India participate against each other.The National Games were known as Indian Olympic Games before 1940.
– First games under the name National Games were held in Bombay in 1940.
– The city of Lucknow hosted the National Games (in 1948) in its first post-independence avatar.
– The duration and the regulations of the National Games are entirely within the jurisdiction of the Indian Olympic Association. Although the periodicity of National Games is two years it is not allowed to coincide with the years scheduled for the conduct of Olympic Games and Asian Games.
– The next 36th Games will be hosted by Goa, and the 37th by Chhattisgarh.