06 Feb, 2018
634 Times Read.
Daily Current Affairs,
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
1) India defeated Australia in the ICC U-19 World Cup final on 3 February 2018 to become the first team to win the U-19 World Cup for the fourth time. Which Indian player was declared man of the Tournament? – Shubham Gill
Explanation: Indian U-19 (boys) cricket team created history as it won the ICC U-19 World Cup 2018 by defeating Australia in the final and thus became the first-ever team to win this tournament four times. Indian vice-captain Shubham Gill was adjudged the man of the match.
– A brilliant century by Manjot Kalra, backed up by able bowling performances by Ishan Porel, Shiva Singh, Ankul Roy and Kamlesh Nagarkoti sealed the deal for the Indian side with an emphatic 8-wicket win in the final. Manjot Kalra was later declared man of the match.
– Australia had set a target of 217 runs for India as they were bowled out for 216 in 47.2 overs. India chased the target by losing 2 wickets with 67 balls to spare.
– ICC U-19 World Cup 2018 was held from 13 January to 3 February 2018 in New Zealand. It was the 12th edition of the tournament. Ace former cricketer Rahul Dravid is the Head Coach of Indian team.
2) Who is heading the task force constituted by the Union Government to study use of artificial intelligence for defence purposes on 2 February 2018? – N. Chandrasekaran
Explanation: Tata Sons Chairman N. Chandrasekaran is heading the 17-member task force constituted by the Department of Defence Production on 2 February 2018 to study use of artificial intelligence for defence applications and production.
– The task force will study the whole gamut of issues surrounding strategic implications of artificial intelligence (AI) in national security perspective.
– Apart from Chandarsekaran, the 17-member task force comprises National Cyber Security Coordinator Gulshan Rai, representatives from the Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force, Chairman and Managing director of Bharat Electronics Ltd, other representatives from Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), Atomic Energy Commission and Defence Ministry.
3) Which regiment of the Indian Army celebrated 250 years of its formation on 4 February 2018? – Maratha Light Infantry
Explanation: Maratha Light Infantry celebrated 250 years of its formation on 4 February 2018. The first battalion of the regiment was raised as the ‘Second Battalion Bombay Sepoys’ on 4 February 1768.
– The date 4 February holds a historic significance for the regiment as on this day, in 1670, Maratha ruler Chhatrapati Shivaji conquered the famous Kondana Fort, which is now known as Sinhgad today in Maharashtra.
– Maratha Regiment is the first infantry regiment of the Army to be awarded the title of ‘Light Infantry’ during the First Afghan War in 1841. It is the only regiment which has contributed two battalions of the special forces to the Indian Army.
4) What is the name of the book written by Prime Minister that focuses on strategies for students appearing in exams and advises them to stay calm and focused during the examination period? – “Exam Warriors”
Explanation: “Exam Warriors” is the name of the book written by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi that was released on 4 February 2018. The book offers ’25 mantras’ to the students going to appear in various exams and tells that students need not see exams as a life-and-death situation.
– Published by Penguin Random House, the 193-page Prime Minister’s book advises students to stay calm and focused during the examination period. The mantras highlight the need to treat exams like festivals, the importance of technology and the quality of sleep required to beat the stress.
– This book is written in a fun, interactive manner with colourful illustration, activities, yoga exercises and also contains a letter from the prime minister to the teachers and parents.
5) What is India’s rank in the Global Democracy Index 2018 compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU)? – 42nd
Explanation: India has slipped to 42nd place on the annual Global Democracy Index (GDI) that was released during January 2018. The annual listing compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) has downgraded India by 10 places as India moved down from 32nd place last year.
– India remains classified among ‘flawed democracies’ amid “rise of conservative religious ideologies” and increase in vigilantism and violence against minorities as well as other dissenting voices.
– The index ranks 165 independent states and two territories on the basis of five categories: electoral process and pluralism, civil liberties, the functioning of government, political participation and political culture. Norway has again topped the list, followed by Iceland and Sweden. New Zealand is at fourth and Denmark at fifth place, while others in top ten include Ireland, Canada, Australia, Finland and Switzerland.
– EIU is the research and analysis division of the UK- based media behemoth The Economist Group.
| Current Affairs | Current Affairs 2018 | IAS | SBI | IBPS | Banking | Bank PO | Banking Awareness | Daily Current Affairs | Best Current Affairs | 2018 Current Affairs | February 2018 | Current Affairs |
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.