29 Aug, 2017
1166 Times Read.
Daily Current Affairs,
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
1) After weeks of diplomatic negotiations, India and China agreed to disengage from the standoff on the Doklam plateau, disputed between China and Bhutan. This was stated in a statement issued by the Ministry of External Affairs of India on 28 August 2017. The Dolkam controversy arose on which date? – 16 June 2017
Explanation: Doklam is an area with a plateau and a valley, lying between Tibet’s Chumbi Valley to the north, Bhutan’s Ha Valley to the east and India’s Sikkim state to the west. It has been depicted as part of Bhutan in the Bhutanese maps since 1961, but it is also claimed by China. India’s doesn’t claim Doklam but supports Bhutan’s claim.
– The Doklam controversy started on 16 June 2017 as Chinese troops with construction vehicles and road-building equipment began extending an existing road southward in Doklam. Bhutan accepted this as interference in its sovereignty. On 18 June 2017, around 270 Indian troops, with weapons and two bulldozers, entered Doklam to stop the Chinese troops from constructing the road. This led to a huge controversy that continued for weeks with Chinese government and media continuously cautioning India for its alleged misadventure.
– But after weeks of diplomatic efforts, Indian troops withdrew back to their posts in Sikkim on 28 August 2017 while China also promised to make adjustments to their troop deployments. This announcement was made by India’s Ministry of External Affairs.
– The resolution of Doklam controversy came just a week before Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to China to attend the BRICS summit from 3 September 2017.
2) What is an important feature associated with the consolidated foreign direct investment (FDI) policy that was released by the Union Govt. on 28 August 2017? – For the first time start-ups have been mentioned in FDI policy
Explanation: According to the directives of the consolidated foreign direct investment (FDI) policy, start-ups can issue equity, equity linked instruments and debt instruments to foreign venture capital investors in accordance with FEMA rules. They can also issue convertible notes to persons residing outside India under certain conditions.
– It was thus the first time that an FDI policy has come up with directives for start-ups.
3) Who took over as the 45th Chief Justice of India on 28 August 2017? – Justice Deepak Misra
Explanation: Justice Dipak Misra was on 28 August 2017 sworn in as the 45th Chief Justice of India by President Ramnath Kovind at a brief ceremony in the Darbar Hall of Rashtrapati Bhawan.
– He replaced Justice J.S. Khehar who retired a day earlier on 27 August 2017. Justice Misra had made history when he led the three-judge Bench which heard Yakub Memon, the sole condemned man in the Bombay blasts case, who came knocking on the Supreme Court’s door for reprieve in the wee hours of the day he was hanged to death.
– He is also third person from Odisha to be appointed the Chief Justice of India, after Justices Ranganath Misra and G B Pattanaik.
4) Who defeated India’s P.V. Sindhu in the women’s singles final of BWF World Badminton Championship 2017 on 27 August 2017? – Nozomi Okuhara (Japan)
Explanation: Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara inflicted a heart- wrenching defeat on India’s P.V. Sindhu in the finals of women’s singles final of BWF World Badminton Championship 2017 thus ending Sindhu’s attempt to become India’s first ever badminton World Champion. Okuhara became the first Japanese woman to win a Singles World Championship Gold.
– Okuhara defeated Sindhu by 19-21, 22-20, 20-22 in an epic final that went for 1 hour 49 minutes. By losing the final, Sindhu had to content with the silver medal. She had won bronze medals from past editions of World Championships.
– On the other hand another Indian ace Saina Nehwal won a bronze earlier on 26 August after losing her semifinal to Okuhara. For India, it still was a historic World Badminton Championship edition since for the first time country’s shuttler are returning with two medals from the world championships.
– The men’s singles title was claimed by Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen who defeated the legendary Lin Dan of China in straight games by 22-20, 21-16. He became the third Dane to claim the men’s singles crown. BWF World Badminton Championship 2017 was from 21 August to 27 August 2017 in Glasgow (Scotland).
5) India’s first-ever “Videsh Bhawan”, that assimilates all Regional Passport Offices under one roof, was inaugurated on 27 August 2017 in which city? – Mumbai
Explanation: External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on 27 August 2017 inaugurated the country’s first Videsh Bhavan in Mumbai.
– As a first pilot project, four offices of the MEA – Regional Passport Office (RPO), Protector of Emigrants (PoE) office, Branch Secretariat and Regional Office of the ICCR – have been assimilated and brought under one roof at the state-of-art office.
– It is worth mentioning that at present over 90 RPOs and PoEs across the country are functioning from rented offices thus costing huge amount to the MEA. Merging and integrating them into similar Videsh Bhavans in different state capitals is expected to cut costs besides ensuring improving efficiency and speeding up the delivery of various services.
| Current Affairs | Current Affairs 2017 | IAS | SBI | IBPS | Banking | Bank PO | Banking Awareness | Daily Current Affairs | Best Current Affairs | 2017 Current Affairs | August 2017 | Current Affairs |
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.