24 Oct, 2017
820 Times Read.
Daily Current Affairs,
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
1) Who was appointed as Union Government’s interlocutor for Jammu and Kashmir on 23 October 2017 as the NDA government made its first concrete attempt to reach out to Kashmiris? – Dineshwar Sharma
Explanation: Former chief of the Intelligence Bureau Dineshwar Sharma was on 23 October 2017 appointed Centre’s interlocutor for Jammu and Kashmir. The government also gave him “complete freedom” to talk to all groups and individuals” including Kashmiri separatists.
– A third-generation police officer, Dineshwar Sharma, 63, retired in December 2016 after leading the domestic spy agency, the Intelligence Bureau, for two years.
– This is the first concrete attempt by the NDA government to reach out to Kashmiris and comes after a particularly-focussed offensive by security agencies to crack down on foreign funding for separatists and local commanders of terrorist groups active in the Kashmir Valley.
– In 2010, the Manmohan Singh government too had appointed a group of three interlocutors led by eminent journalist Dilip Padgaonkar who had given their final report in a year. But most recommendations that called for review of laws that give security forces immunity from prosecution without the government’s approval and allow detention of people for years on suspicion, were not accepted.
2) During October 2017 the Union Government made it mandatory for banks and financial institutions to check the original identification documents of individuals dealing in cash above the prescribed threshold, to weed out the use of forged or fake copies. What is this prescribed threshold? – Rs. 50,000
Explanation: The Department of Revenue in the Finance Ministry during October 2017 issued a gazette notification making an amendment to the Prevention of Money-laundering (Maintenance of Records) Act (PMLA). The new rule now requires the reporting entity to compare “the copy of officially valid (identification) document so produced by the client with the original and recording the same on the copy” when doing cash transactions over Rs. 50,000.
– Intermediaries like stockbroker, chit fund company, cooperative bank, housing finance institution and non-banking finance companies are also classified as reporting entities.
– It is worth mentioning that PMLA forms the core of the legal framework put in place by India to combat money laundering and generation of black money.
3) India’s first Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra (PMKK) for Skilling in smart cities was inaugurated at which place on 23 October 2017? – New Delhi
Explanation: India’s first Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra (PMKK) for Skilling in smart cities was inaugurated in New Delhi on 23 October 2017 by Union Minister Rajnath Singh.
– National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), an executive arm of Skill Development Ministry, has collaborated with New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) Smart City Limited for setting up this PMKK for smart cities.
– This centre located at Mandir Marg, leverages NDMC’s infrastructure for skilling initiatives.
4) Who was appointed the new CEO of India operations of Hong-Kong and Shanghai Banking Corp. Ltd (HSBC) on 23 October 2017? – Jayant Rikhye
Explanation: Jayant Rikhye has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the India operations of Hong-Kong and Shanghai Banking Corp. Ltd (HSBC), the bank announced on 23 October 2017. He will replace Stuart Milne on 1 December 2017.
– Rikhye has worked across various divisions at HSBC including corporate banking in Taiwan, institutional fund services in Hong Kong and head of securities services for the Middle East and North Africa, based in the United Arab Emirates.
| Current Affairs | Current Affairs 2017 | IAS | SBI | IBPS | Banking | Bank PO | Banking Awareness | Daily Current Affairs | Best Current Affairs | 2017 Current Affairs | October 2017 | Current Affairs |
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.