22 Nov, 2016
1955 Times Read.
Daily Current Affairs,
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
1) India’s longest expressway comprising of 6-lane 306 kilometer state-of-the-art road stretch was inaugurated on 21 November 2016. Which expressway is this? – Agra-Lucknow Expressway
Explanation: Agra-Lucknow Expressway, which has been a dream project of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav was inaugurated by Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav on 21 November 2016. The inauguration ceremony was held at Unna, around 50 km from state capital Lucknow. This 306-km-6-lane expressway has been built in a record 22 month period.
– The expressway aims to reduce traffic congestion and bring down pollution and carbon footprint. For the first time fighter jets of the Indian Air Force (IAF) were part of the inauguration ceremony of an expressway in the country. 6 Sukhoi and Mirage 2000s jets performed simulated landings at the venue.
– The expressway incorporates a 3.3 km stretch marked for landings as part of a Defence Ministry plan for emergencies when military air fields are not available. It also has automated traffic system to manage in fog and reduce accidents.
– It is expected that the Agra-Lucknow Expressway will reduce the travel time from Lucknow to national capital Delhi from present 8-9 hours to 5 hours.
2) What is the name of the third indigenously designed guided missile destroyer belonging to the ‘Kolkata class’ that was commissioned into the Indian Navy on 21 November 2016? – ‘INS Chennai’
Explanation: ‘INS Chennai’, one of the largest destroyers in the Indian Navy’s fleet, was commissioned on 21 November 2016 by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar. It will be assigned to the western fleet after completion of some additional trials of systems deployed on it.
– The ship’s construction also marks the end of the ‘Project 15A’ to build Kolkata-class guided missile destroyers. It has been built at the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd in Mumbai.
– The ship is armed with supersonic surface-to-surface BrahMos missiles and Barak-8 long range surface-to-air missiles. It has an overall length of 164 metres and displacement of over 7,500 tons.
– The first ship of the ‘Kolkata class’, named ‘INS Kolkata’, was commissioned on 16 August 2014, followed by ‘INS Kochi’ which was commissioned on 30 September 2015.
3) In view of the problems faced due to demonetization drive, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 21 November 2016 provided how many additional days for the repayment of small loans? – 60 days
Explanation: In view of the cash crunch being faced by borrowers due to demonetization, the RBI on 21 November 2016 provided an additional 60 days for the repayment of housing, car, farm and other loans worth up to Rs. 1 crore. It applies to loans payable between 1 November and 31 December 2016.
– The relaxation is available to entities running working capital accounts with any bank with the sanctioned limit of Rs. 1 crore or less. Term loans, both business or personal, secured or otherwise, on the books of any bank or any NBFC, including NBFC-MFI, would get the benefit of this relaxation.
4) The 47th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) was inaugurated in Goa on 20 November 2016. Who was awarded with the ‘Centenary Indian Film Personality of the Year-2016’ during the inauguration function? – S. P. Balasubrahmanyam
Explanation: Legendary singer Padma Bhushan S. P. Balasubrahmanyam was awarded the ‘Centenary Indian Film Personality of the Year-2016’ award by Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting M. Venkaiah Naidu during the inauguration function of the 47th International Film Festival of India (IFFI). He was awarded for his remarkable, extraordinary and exceptional journey in Indian cinema as a singer, actor and producer.
– On the other hand ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ was conferred upon acclaimed South Korean film director and writer Im Kwon Taek. Taek is often regarded as the father of Korean cinema for his long and prolific career and his work on Korean themes and subjects. It is worth mentioning that South Korea is also the partner country of IFFI 2016.
– The festival opened with the grand masterpiece of veteran Polish writer and director, late Andrzej Wajda, ‘AfterImage’.
– The IFFI 2016 will feature around 300 films from about 90 countries from all over the world.
5) Which Indian golfer won the Indonesia Open Golf tournament 2016 on 21 November 2016? – Gaganjeet Bhullar
Explanation: Gaganjeet Bhullar won the $3,00,000 Indonesia Open Golf tournament for the second time at Pondok Indah Golf Course in Jakarta on 21 November 2016.
– Bhullar, who also won the tournament in 2013, pipped fellow Indian golfer Jeev Milkha Singh. Jeev settled for the second spot. With this title win Bhullar became fifth player to win the tournament twice.
| Current Affairs | Current Affairs 2016 | IAS | SBI | IBPS | Banking | Bank PO | Banking Awareness | Daily Current Affairs | Best Current Affairs | 2106 Current Affairs | November 2016 | November 2016 | Current Affairs |
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.