24 Jul, 2017
1198 Times Read.
Daily Current Affairs,
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
1) Hosts England defeated India by 9 runs in nail-biting final of the 2017 ICC Women’s World Cup that was played on 23 July 2017 at the Lord’s. With this title win England has won ICC Women’s World Cup how many times? – Four
Explanation: India fell just nine runs short in the ICC Women’s World Cup final at Lord’s against hosts England on 23 July 2017 to lose their second ICC World Cup final. Needing 229 runs to win the World Cup, Indian team was all-out at 219 runs with 8 balls to spare, thus losing the match by 9 runs.
– However, the overall performance in the World Cup was a commendable one for India as they were initially termed underdogs in the tournament. India defeated three top teams – England, Australia and New Zealand during the World Cup.
– With this win, England has now won the ICC Women’s World Cup four times. It had won its previous titles in 1973, 1993 and 2009. However, Australia remains the most successful team having won the title six times. New Zealand won the title once (in 2000).
– This was the second ICC Women’s World Cup lost by India after they lost to Australia in 2005 World Cup finals by 98 runs.
– The 2017 ICC Women’s World Cup was the 11th edition of this world cup and was held from 24 June to 23 July 2017. It was hosted jointly by England and Wales. Tammy Beaumont of England was declared Player of the Series while another English player Anya Shrubsole, who took 6 Indian wickets for 46 runs, was declared Player of the final match.
(Photo Courtesy: Indian Express)
2) What is the name of the new pension scheme for senior citizens launched on 21 July 2017, which promises an assured return of 8 per cent? – Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY)
Explanation: Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY) is the name of the new ambitious pension scheme for senior citizens that was launched by Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on 21 July 2017. The main feature of this scheme is that it promises an assured return of 8%. The scheme was announced in the 2017-18 Union Budget.
– State-run Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) of India has been given the mandate to operate the scheme and the scheme is open to people aged 60 years and above. Enrolment under the scheme cane be made till 3 May 2018.
– Minimum and maximum purchase prices for the pension scheme are Rs.1,50,000 and Rs. 7,50,000 respectively. If a senior citizen is in a liquidity crunch, loans up to 75% of the purchase price after three policy years can be availed. The interest payments will be adjusted against pension instalments while the loan amount will be recovered form claim proceeds.
– PMVVY is exempt from the Goods & Services Tax (GST)
3) Ram Nath Kovind, the NDA candidate, was on 20 July 2017 elected as India’s 14th President after he won convincingly against opposition’s joint candidate Meira Kumar. He garnered more than 65% of the votes in the Electoral College. But Meira Kumar still was successful in making which record despite her defeat? – She polled the highest votes by a losing candidate
Explanation: Despite her big defeat at the hands of Ram Nath Kovind, Meira Kumar, the joint opposition’s candidate, too created one record – she polled the highest votes by a losing candidate in the history of India’s Presidential elections.
– The last candidate who came close was a former Chief Justice of India Koka Subba Rao who contested the 1967 election as a candidate of united opposition parties against Zakir Hussin. Justice Rao had resigned from the judiciary to contest the election, lost to Hussain but secured a record 3.63 lakh votes. It was an unbeaten record for 50 years.
– Kovind received 2930 votes with a value of 702044 while Meira Kumar polled in 1844 votes with a value of 367314. The election was marked by cross-voting in various states where many opposition members favoured. Kovind thus became the first BJP member to be elected president.
4) Which private sector bank during July 2017 launched a unique facility whereby its existing salaried customers can avail instant personal loans up to Rs. 15 lakh at ATMs? – ICICI Bank
Explanation: During July 2017 ICICI Bank launched a facility whereby its existing salaried customers can avail personal loans at ATMs. These customers can get pre-qualified personal loans up to 15 lakhs in their savings account instantly.
– Under this facility, on completion of a transaction for balance enquiry or cash withdrawal, customers will be shown the option of availing the loan (at ICICI Bank ATM).
– The facility offers a bouquet of features – swift application in simple steps, multiple eligible loan amount options up to Rs. 15 lakh based on pre-checked CIBIL scores and instant transfer of the money to the customer’s account.
– Customers can also avail personal loans from the Bank’s website, iMobile – its mobile banking application as well as its branches.
5) President Pranab Mukherjee on 20 July 2017 inaugurated the Bicentenary celebration of the heroic “Paika Rebellion”. This rebellion against the British was associated with which state? – Odisha
Explanation: Paika Rebellion (also called the Paika Bidroha) was an armed rebellion against the British East India Company’s rule in Odisha in 1817. The ‘Paikas’ were the traditional landed militia of Odisha. They served as warriors and were charged with policing functions.
– They rose in rebellion against East India Company under their leader Bakshi Jagabandhu and, projecting Lord Jagannath as the symbol of Odia unity, the rebellion quickly spread across most of Odisha before being ruthlessly put down by the company’s forces.
– Many scholars, researchers and historians have opined that the Paika Rebellion was India’s first organized armed rebellion against British Raj.
– The Bicentenary celebration (200 year) of Paika Rebellion was inaugurated by President Pranab Mukherjee in a programme organised by the Ministry of Culture in Bhubaneswar on 20 July 2017.
Read Monthly e-magazine in Hindi and English
| Current Affairs | Current Affairs 2017 | IAS | SBI | IBPS | Banking | Bank PO | Banking Awareness | Daily Current Affairs | Best Current Affairs | 2017 Current Affairs | July 2017 | Current Affairs |
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.