05 Sep, 2017
864 Times Read.
Daily Current Affairs,
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
1) The 3-day BRICS Summit 2017 commenced in which Chinese city from 3 September 2017? – Xiamen
Explanation: The 2017 BRICS Summit, which is the ninth edition of the Head of States meet of the 5 BRICS nations (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa), commenced in Xiamen, a sub-provincial city in southeastern Fujian province of China, from 3 September 2017. This is the second time that China is hosting the summit after the 2011 summit in Sanya.
– In a significant diplomatic win for India, the BRICS nations on 4 September 2017 for the first time, named Pakistan-based groups like Lashkar-e-Taiba, Jaish-e-Mohammed and the Haqqani network in a strongly-worded declaration condemning terror on 4 September 2017. While Pakistan is a close ally of China, the statement makes a strong reference to the need for states to act against terror. But it has not been named in the declaration adopted by BRICS.
– Prime Minister Narendra Modi is representing India in this summit.
2) Nirmala Sitharaman created history as she became the first-ever full-time woman defence minister of India on 3 September 2017. Who was the only other woman to head country’s defence ministry? – Indira Gandhi
Explanation: Until now, the only woman to head India’s Defence Ministry was former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. She first headed the Defence Ministry in 1975 and again in 1980-82. But she looked after the Defence Ministry as part-time charge apart from her primary duties as the Prime Minister.
– On 3 September 2017 Nirmala Sitharaman became the first-ever full-time Defence Minister of the country as she was elevated from minister of state (Commerce Ministry) to Cabinet Minister (Defence Ministry).
– She has a Masters in economics from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi and has worked for PwC, London and briefly with BBC World Service. She joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in 2008, and was made a member of the national executive and was nominated as party spokesperson in 2010.
3) Who was given the important charge of Rail Ministry from Suresh Prabhu in the expansion undertaken on 3 September 2017? – Piyush Goyal
Explanation: Piyush Goyal was appointed the new Rail Minister by the Union Cabinet on 3 September 2017. He took charge from Suresh Prabhu who had earlier on 23 August 2017 offered to quit following two train derailments in span of four days. Prabhu was shifted to the Commerce and Industry Ministry.
– Goyal has been given the responsibility in the third reshuffle following his performance as Union Power Minister. He initiated several projects like electrification of villages, Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY) to revive debt- ridden power distribution companies (DISCOMS) and solar power.
4) How many new ministers were added to Union Council of Ministers of the Narendra Modi government in the expansion undertaken on 3 September 2017? – Nine
Explanation: Nine new ministers (all ministers of state – MoS) were inducted into the council of ministers in the Narendra Modi government on 3 September 2017. These nine new ministers are – Shiv Pratap Shukla (Mos – Finance Ministry), R.K. Singh (MoS – Power and New and Renewable Energy Ministry), Ashwini Kumar Choubay (MoS – Health Ministry), Satyapal Singh (MoS – HRD and Water Resources and Ganga Rejuvenation), Virendra Kumar (MoS- Women & Child Development), Alphons Kannanthanam (MoS – Tourism Ministry and Electronics and IT), Anant Kumar Hegde (MoS – Skill Development Ministry), Gajendra Singh Shekhawat (MoS – Agriculture Ministry) and Hardeep Singh Puri (MoS – Housing and Urban Affairs).
– On the other hand Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas got the additional charge of Ministry of Skill Development and Entreprenuership, portfolio held earlier by Rajiv Pratap Rudy.
– With this expansion, the strength of Union Council of Ministers went up from 73 to 76.
5) Which entity won the television and digital rights for the Indian Premier League (IPL) for a period of five years for a staggering Rs 16347.5 crore on 4 September 2017? – Star India
Explanation: According to an announcement made by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on 4 September 2017, Star India has won the television and digital rights for the Indian Premier League (IPL) for a period of five years, from 2018 to 2022. BCCI bagged Rs. 16347.5 crore from a single bidder for both the rights.
– Sony had held the broadcast rights for ten seasons, from 2008 to 2017 while Star held the previous digital rights till the 2017 season.
– The testimony to IPL’s growth as the premier sporting property of the country is reflected by the fact that the previous 10-year bid for TV rights was bought by Sony at Rs. 8200 crore in 2008.
6) Who was nominated as the new US ambassador to India by President Donald Trump on 1 September 2017? – Kenneth Juster
Explanation: President Donald Trump nominated Kenneth Juster, a top economic aide, as the next US ambassador to India.
– Juster is the Deputy Assistant to the US president for International Economic Affairs and Deputy Director of his National Economic Council. As the Under Secretary for Commerce, he had played a key role in developing the civilian nuclear cooperation agreement between the US and India.
– If his nomination is confirmed by the US Senate, he will replace the incumbent Richard Verma.
| Current Affairs | Current Affairs 2017 | IAS | SBI | IBPS | Banking | Bank PO | Banking Awareness | Daily Current Affairs | Best Current Affairs | 2017 Current Affairs | September 2017 | Current Affairs |
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.