18 Nov, 2016
2193 Times Read.
Daily Current Affairs,
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
1) According to the latest shipping data released on 16 November 2016, which country overtook Saudi Arabia to emerge as top oil supplier to India during October 2016? – Iran
Explanation: Iran overtook political rival Saudi Arabia as India’s top oil supplier in October, as revealed in the shipping data released on 16 November 2016.
– Iran used to be India’s second-biggest oil supplier, a position it ceded to Iraq after tough Western sanctions over its nuclear development programme.
– But India’s oil imports from Iran have shot up this year after those sanctions were lifted in January 2016. In October they surged more than threefold compared with the same month last year, rising to 789,000 barrels per day (bpd), according to ship tracking data and a report compiled by Thomson Reuters Oil Research and Forecasts. That compares to 697,000 bpd supplied last month by Saudi Arabia. Over the whole January to October 2016 period, though, Saudi Arabia still holds India’s top supply spot, at an average of 830,000 bpd.
– It is worth mentioning that India is the third largest oil importer in the world.
2) One of the most illustrious soldiers of the Indian Army, Lt. Gen. (Retd.) S.K. Sinha passed away in New Delhi on 17 November 2016. Besides being a famous army officer, he was former Governor of which two states of the country? – Jammu & Kashmir and Assam
Explanation: Lt. Gen. S.K. Sinha had joined the Indian Army in 1943. He was famous for leading the first batch of Indian troops who entered Jammu & Kashmir when Pakistan raiders invaded in 1947.
– He resigned from service in 1983 after the government superseded him and appointed General A S Vaidya as the new army chief.
– After retirement Sinha served as Governor of Jammu & Kashmir (2003-08) and Assam (1997-2003). He was Governor (interim) of Arunachal Pradesh for around two and half months in 1999. He also served as India’s Ambassador to Nepal (1990). He passed at the Army Research and Referral Hospital in New Delhi on 17 November 2016. He was 90.
3) Which prominent country during November 2016 announced that it will withdraw from the International Criminal Court (ICC) alleging that it has failed to achieve its set objectives? – Russia
Explanation: Russian Government on 16 November 2016 announced that it is quitting as a member of the International Criminal Court (ICC). It alleged that the ICC failed to meet the expectations to become a truly independent, authoritative international tribunal.
– Russian President Putin had instructed his Ministry of Foreign Affairs to inform the UN Secretary General that Russia no longer intends to become a state party to the Rome Statute, the treaty that established the ICC.
– Russia signed the treaty in 2000, but did not ratify it, according to the Russian Legal Information Agency. The Rome Statute has been ratified by 123 countries.
– Based in the Hague, Netherlands, the ICC comprises 124 states from around the world. It is the “court of last resort” and tries four types of crimes – genocide, crimes against humanity, crimes of aggression and war crimes.
4) Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s brainchild – the International Solar Alliance (ISA), received a global support as over 20 countries, including France and Brazil, signed the pertaining framework agreement on 15-16 November 2016. This agreement was opened for signatures at which place? – Marrakech (Morocco)
Explanation: The framework agreement of International Solar Alliance (ISA) was opened for signatures in Morocco’s Marrakech on 15 November 2016, on the sidelines of Conference of the Parties or COP22.
– Over 20 countries, including France and Brazil, became signatories to the framework agreement of the ISA, an initiative that is the brainchild of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi. It aims to create common buyers’ market for solar finance, technology, innovation, capacity building.
– ISA was jointly launched by Prime Minister Modi and French President Francois Hollande at the COP21 in Paris during December 2016 where representatives from around 70 countries including more than 30 Heads of the States and government participated. It is an alliance of 121 solar resource rich countries lying fully or partially between the tropic of Cancer and tropic of Capricorn and will have its headquarters in India.
5) History was created during November 2016 as a company of women CRPF was designated to fight against Left-wing extremism (Naxalites) for the first time ever. This CRPF women company was employed in which Naxalite-infested state? – Jharkhand
Explanation: A company of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF’s) 135th Battalion, comprising of women constables, was deployed to fight against Naxalites in the state of Jharkhand during November 2016. This was thus the first instance of women forces of the CRPF being deployed against left-wing extremism.
– The women company under CRPF’s 135 Battalion carried out a search operation against Maoists at Karra and other ultra-stronghold areas in Khunti on 12 November 2016.
– CRPF is of the view that since a large number of female cadres have joined the extremists, it will be easier for the women CRPF to gauge the operations in such cases.
– CRPF’s female forces have got primary training in Ajmer, and then were shifted to Assam to have rigorous training to use UBGL, mortar and other weapons which so far used to be handled by their men counterparts only. These women constables are well-trained to handle all kinds of weapons such as Insas, AK-47, hand grenade.
| Current Affairs | Current Affairs 2016 | IAS | SBI | IBPS | Banking | Bank PO | Banking Awareness | Daily Current Affairs | Best Current Affairs | 2106 Current Affairs | November 2016 | November 2016 | Current Affairs |
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.