13 Sep, 2015
7502 Times Read.
Daily Current Affairs,
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
1) Over 90 persons were killed and many injured when mining gelatin and detonators stored in a house near a restaurant exploded on 12 September 2015 in Jhabua district of Madhya Pradesh. This accident took place in which town of Jhabua district? – Petlawad
Explanation: Petlawad is a small town in Madhya Pradesh’s Jhabua district with a population of over 15 thousand. It came to news on 12 September 2015 for a huge blast that took place at around 8:30 am in town’s centre. Police initially thought that the reason for this blast was explosion in a cooking gas cylinder in the restaurant. But later it was confirmed that gelatin sticks kept in the house of one Rajendra Kumar Kaswa had exploded, killing most of its occupants and those on the vicinity. Kaswa allegedly had a licence to deal in explosives used in mining operations.
2) In an important event in British politics, who was elected as the new leader of opposition Labour Party on 12 September 2015? – Jeremy Corbyn
Explanation: Jeremy Corbyn is an avowed socialist and Karl Marx admirer. He defeated two former Labour ministers, Yvette Cooper and Andy Burnham, and Liz Kendall to get elected as the leader of Britain’s main opposition party – Labour Party. His election as Labour Party leader is expected to throw more weight to the proposed exit of Britain from the European Union. Corbyn, a left winger and parliamentary veteran with a long history of voting against his own party, triumphed on a message of promising to increase government investment though money-printing and re-nationalising vast swathes of the economy.
3) BJP’s student wing Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) swept Delhi University Students’ Union (DUSU) elections by bagging all four positions as announced on 12 September 2015. The ABVP won posts of president, vice-president, secretary and joint secretary by defeating Congress-affiliated National Students’ Union of India (NSUI). What is the name of the Aam Aadmi Party’s student entity, which made its debut at the campus polls this year and finished at third position? – Chhatra Yuva Sangharsh Samiti (CYSS)
Explanation: Chhatra Yuva Sangharsh Samiti (CYSS) is the newly formed students’ entity of AAP behind which AAP head and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had thrown his weight. But it was unable to perform well. Satender Awana was elected president of DUSU while Sunny Dedha won vice president’s post. Anjali Rana and Chhattarpal Yadav were elected as secretary and joint secretary respectively. Last year too, ABVP had swept the polls trouncing NSUI to bag all four seats. DUSU is the representative body of the students from most colleges and faculties of the varsity. The polls have been keenly contested over decades and are seen as a stepping stone to party politics.
4) Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong registered a landslide victory in the general election held in the country on 11 September 2015. His party returned to the power with a massive mandate for the 12th time since Singapore attained independence. What is the name of this ruling party which has ruled Singapore since it attained Independence some 50 years ago? – People’s Action Party (PAP)
Explanation: The People’s Action Party (PAP) won an absolute majority of 83 seats in the 89-member Parliament. The PAP’s main rival – the Workers’ Party, ended up with just six seats, less than the seven it held in the outgoing parliament. A number of smaller parties also ran. The PAP, which has been ruling the city-state since independence in 1965, got 69.86% of the popular vote, an increase of almost 10 percentage points from its share in 2011. The victory thus again dashed hopes of a two-party system emerging in Singapore. This was the first general election after the death of Lee Kuan Yew, father of Prime Minister Lee.
5) What was the special feature of the US Open women’s singles final that was played on 12 September 2015 and was won by Flavia Pennetta of Italy? – It was the first-ever all-Italian Grand Slam women’s final in the Open Era
Explanation: The 2015 US Open women’s singles was played between Italy’s Roberta Vinci and her compatriot Flavia Pennetta. Roberta Vinci had shocked and ousted World No. 1 Serena Williams in the semi-final. In the finals Flavia Pennetta defeated Vinci by 7-6 (7-4), 6-2 to win her maiden Grand Slam singles title. At 33 years, Pennetta became the oldest first-time Grand Slam women’s champion in the Open era. The breakthrough win came in Pennetta’s 49th Grand Slam appearance, the most needed for any women’s major champion, two more than France’s Marion Bartoli when she won at Wimbledon in 2013. She however announced her retirement from international tennis after this win. Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi was among the spectators in Arthur Ashe Stadium who watched this first all-Italian women’s Grand Slam final of the Open Era.
6) Leander Paes and Martina Hingis won the 2015 U.S. Open mixed doubles title by defeating Sam Querrey and Bethanie Mattek-Sands in the finals on 11 September 2015. This was ………mixed doubles title of the year for Paes and Hingis – Third
Explanation: Leander Paes (India) and Martina Hingis (Switzerland) defeated American duo Sam Querrey and Bethanie Mattek-Sands by 6-4, 3-6, 10-7 to add the US Open crown to their wins at the Australian Open and Wimbledon. They thus became the first team since 1969 to win three Grand Slam mixed doubles titles in the same season. The only other team to win three majors in the same year were Marty Riessen and Margaret Court 46 years ago. 42-year old Paes has also passed his former doubles partner, Mahesh Bhupathi, as the most successful mixed doubles champion in the Open Era with nine Grand Slam titles.
7) World welterweight boxing champion Floyd Mayweather, Jr. (US) ended his illustrious boxing career on 12 September 2015 with a win over Andre Berto to claim the 49th and final win of his career. He thus ended 49-0 to match the record of which heavyweight boxing legend? – Rocky Marciano
Explanation: Floyd Mayweather, Jr. had announced that the bout with Andre Berto will be his final fight and with an emphatic win over Betro, Mayweather ended his career with 49 wins and no losses. He thus matched the record of the legendary American boxer Rocky Marciano, who had perfect record of 49 wins from similar number of professional bouts with 43 knock-outs.
| Current Affairs | Current Affairs 2015 | IAS | SBI | IBPS | Banking | Bank PO | Banking Awareness | Daily Current Affairs |
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.