10 Jan, 2018
422 Times Read.
Daily Current Affairs,
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
1) North and South Korea kicked off their first formal talks in more than two years on 9 January 2018. This meeting, closely watched by world leaders, was held primarily to discuss which issue? – How North Korean athletes can attend the Winter Olympics to be held in South Korea
Explanation: The talks between North and South Korea were held on 9 January 2018 in Seoul primarily to discuss North Korea’s participation in the XXIII Winter Olympics and the Paralympics to be held in PyeongChang (South Korea) from 9 to 25 February 2018.
– In the talks North Korea agreed to send a delegation to the games. Another important outcome of this talk was that both the countries also agreed to ease military tensions.
– The talks were led by South Korea’s Unification Minister Cho Myoung-gyon and North Korea’s Chairman of the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland Ri Son Gwon. The talks were held at the Panmunjom truce village, a small village located in the demilitarised zone separating the two Koreas. After the Korean war ended in a truce in 1953, Panmunjom was designated as the one place where officials from both sides could meet.
– Regardless of its primarily sporting agenda, the meeting was closely watched by world leaders eager for any sign of a reduction in tensions on the Korean peninsula amid rising fears over North Korea’s development of nuclear weapons and defiance of United Nations Security Council resolutions.
2) Which railway station found its way into the Limca Book of Records 2018 for having an all-woman staff, as was disclosed on 9 January 2018? – Matunga
Explanation: The name of Matunga, railway station on the Central Railway (CR), has figured in the Limca Book of Records 2018 for having an all-woman staff. The achievement comes six months after Matunga became the first railway station in the country to be run by an all- woman staff.
– The station is being manned exclusively by women staffers since July 2017, a first on the Indian Railways. A team of 41 women staffers at the station includes personnel from the RPF, commercial and operating departments. These staffers work under the supervision of station manager Mamta Kulkarni.
(Photo Courtesy : Mid Day)
3) Which private sector infrastructure entity signed a concession agreement for implementation of the mega Rs. 16,000-crore Navi Mumbai International Airport project on 8 January 2018? – GVK Power & Infrastructure Ltd.
Explanation: GVK Power & Infrastructure Ltd, the Hyderabad-based diversified infrastructure company, which also had the Bangalore International Airport Ltd under its fold, on 8 January 2018 signed a concession agreement for implementation of the Navi Mumbai International Airport (NMIA) project. The initial concession period is 30 years from the appointed date and extendable for 10 years.
– The agreement was signed through a special purpose vehicle (SPV), Navi Mumbai International Airport Pvt. Ltd with Cidco, the nodal authority of the Maharashtra government for the implementation of the project.
– Through its subsidiary, Mumbai International Airport Pvt Ltd, GVKPIL holds 74 per cent equity shares in the proposed Navi Mumbai Airport Ltd with Cidco holding the balance 26 per cent. The Navi Mumbai International Airport will be the much-needed second airport for the twin cities of Mumbai and Navi Mumbai.
– GVK subsidiary MIAL was declared successful bidder for Navi Mumbai International Airport in February 2017 and received the Letter of Award from Cidco on October 25, 2017.
4) Which state topped the newly commenced logistics index called Logistics Ease Across Different States (LEADS) that lists logistics performance of Indian states and Union territories? – Gujarat
Explanation: Gujarat has topped the newly commenced Logistics Ease Across Different States (LEADS) index, a composite indicator to assess international trade logistics across Indian states and union territories. Punjab and Andhra Pradesh took the second and third positions, respectively.
– The findings of LEADS were released by the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry during January 2018. The index has primarily concluded that the logistics performance of Indian states and Union territories is “sub-par” owing to a host of inefficiencies.
– LEADS is loosely based on the World Bank’s biannual Logistics Performance Index (LPI), on which India was ranked 35 among 160 countries in 2016.
– Logistics is the management of the flow of resources such as cargo, documents, information and funds through a range of activities and services between points of origin and destination.
5) Brigadier (retd.) Kapil Mohan, who passed away at the age of 88 years on 6 January 2018, was the man behind which famous Indian liquor brand? – Old Monk
Explanation: Brigadier (retd.) Kapil Mohan, former Chairman and MD of Mohan Meakin Ltd. and the man behind the rum Old Monk, passed away in Ghaziabad’s Mohan Nagar area on 6 January 2018.
– He had launched the ‘Old Monk’ rum in 1954 was for a long time the largest selling dark rum in the world. It was, for many years, the biggest Indian Made Foreign Liquor brand as well. Other famous brands started by him include Solan No. 1 whiskey and Golden Eagle beer.
– Recipient of Padma Shri in 2010, Kapil Mohan led the much-needed diversification of the company after he took over the reins of the erstwhile Dyer Meakin Breweries.
| Current Affairs | Current Affairs 2018 | IAS | SBI | IBPS | Banking | Bank PO | Banking Awareness | Daily Current Affairs | Best Current Affairs | 2018 Current Affairs | January 2018 | Current Affairs |
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.