07 Dec, 2017
1272 Times Read.
Daily Current Affairs,
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
1) Which port was inaugurated by Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on 3 December 2017 as the first phase of the ambitious Indo-Iran Chabahar Port project billed as an “International Gateway”? – Shahid Beheshti Port
Explanation: Chabahar Port project being built by India in Iran’s southeastern province of Sistan-Baluchestan is being seen as a rival to the Chinese-built Gwadar port off Pakistan, about 80 km away, which is a critical link in China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) and China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC). Chabahar provides India with an easy land-sea linkup with Afghanistan.
– The first phase of this port in the form of Shahid Beheshti Port was inaugurated by Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on 3 December 2017.
– Chabahar is Iran’s only oceanic port town and consists of two separate ports named Shahid Kalantari and Shahid Beheshti. The opening of the first phase of Shahid Beheshti Port (out of five phases defined for the project), which has tripled its capacity to 8.5 million tons (equal to that of all the northern ports of the country), will allow the docking of super-large container ships (between 100,000 DWT and 120,000 DWT) and increase India’s connectivity with Afghanistan.
2) What is the name of the new virtual currency (cryptocurrency) announced by Venezuela on 3 December 2017 that will be backed by country’s natural resources? – ‘Petro’
Explanation: ‘Petro’ is the name of the new virtual currency (cryptocurrency) of struggling Latin American country Venezuela that was announced by President Nicolas Maduro on 3 December 2017. It will be backed by oil, gas, gold and diamond reserves, which Venezuela has in abundance. ‘Petro’ is being launched to shore up country’s collapsed economy.
– The announcement highlighted how sanctions enacted this year by U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration are hurting Venezuela’s ability to move money through international banks.
– Venezuela’s real currency, the Bolivar, is in freefall, and the country is sorely lacking in basic needs like food and medicine.
– Cryptocurrencies are typically are not backed by any government or central banks. With ‘Petro’, Venezuela looks to pivot away from the U.S. dollar.
3) Renowned Indian actor Shashi Kapoor passed away on 4 December 2017 in Mumbai. The youngest son of Prithviraj Kapoor, he was among the popular Hindi film actors and one of India’s first actors to go international. In which year he was awarded the prestigious ‘Dada Sabab Phalke Award’? – 2015
Explanation: Shashi Kapoor (born as Balbir Prithviraj Kapoor) was one of the most prolific Hindi film actors and went on to appear in 116 Hindi films, including 61 films as the solo lead hero and 55 multi star-cast films.
– He had started his career as a child artist with best-known performances in ‘Aag’ (1948) and ‘Awaara’ (1951). He made his debut as a leading man in the 1961 film ‘Dharmputra’. His best performances as solo lead hero in Hindi films were in ‘Neend Hamari Khwab Tumhare’, ‘Jab Jab Phool Khile’, ‘Haseena Maan Jayegi’ , ‘Pyar Ka Mausam’, ‘Raja Saab’, ‘Jaanwar Aur Insaan’, ‘Mr.Romeo’, ‘Aa Gale Lag Jaa’, ‘Chori Mera Kaam’, ‘Phaansi’, ‘Junoon’, ‘Kalyug’ , ‘Pighalta Aasman’ and ‘New Delhi Times’. In 1998, he retired from acting after his final film appearances in “Jinnah” and “Side Streets”. He also produced many films including ‘Junoon’ (1978), ‘Kalyug’ (1981), ‘36 Chowringhee Lane’ (1981), ‘Vijeta’ (1982), ‘Utsav’ (1984) and ‘Ajooba’ (1991).
– Shashi Kapoor revived the erstwhile ‘Prithvi Theatre’ in November 1978, which was started in 1942 by his father Prithviraj Kapoor. This theatre still remains one of the leading theatre establishments in the country.
– He was awarded the Padma Bhushan, India’s third highest civilian award in 2011 and the Dada Sahab Phalke award in 2015 for his immense contribution to the Indian film industry.
4) Who was named as CEO of Infosys by the company on 2 December 2017? – Salil S. Parekh
Explanation: Leading Indian software company Infosys Ltd named outsider Salil S. Parekh as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) on 2 December 2017. With this announcement the company ended the company’s search for a new leader after previous head Vishal Sikka quit following strident criticism from a group of founders, landing it in uncertainty.
– Parekh, a senior executive at Capgemini SE with degrees from the Indian Institute of Technology and Cornell University in the US, has been appointed CEO and managing director for a five-year term that starts on 2 January 2018.
– Sikka had walked out in August 2017 after clashing with founders, led by former chairman Narayana Murthy, who had run it for three decades.
5) The first international conference and exhibition on AYUSH and wellness systems, “International Arogya 2017” was inaugurated on 4 December 2017 at which place? – Delhi
Explanation: “International Arogya 2017”, the first-ever global summit on AYUSH and wellness, was inaugurated by Suresh Prabhu, Minister of Commerce and Industry in Delhi on 4 December 2017. This summit will conclude on 7 December 2017 and will showcase the strength and scientific validation of traditional Indian systems of medicine in the global context.
– The 4-day event is organized by FICCI in collaboration with Govt. of India’s Ministry of AYUSH and Ministry of Commerce & Industry, and Pharmaexcil.
– The medicinal systems being showcased in the event include Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, Sowa-Rigpa and Homoeopathy (AYUSH), and facilitate their worldwide promotion, development and recognition.
| Current Affairs | Current Affairs 2017 | IAS | SBI | IBPS | Banking | Bank PO | Banking Awareness | Daily Current Affairs | Best Current Affairs | 2017 Current Affairs | December 2017 | Current Affairs |
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.