02 Mar, 2016
4234 Times Read.
Daily Current Affairs,
RSS Feed for this Article
Read this in: Hindi
1) Indian Government on 1 March 2016 started a 3-day international event to consolidate its growing geo-political imprint. What is the name of this ambitious event which is featuring over 450 participants from 40 countries? – ‘Raisina Dialogue’
Explanation: ‘Raisina Dialogue’ is fashioned on the lines of the famous annual Shangrila Dialogue held in Singapore where world leaders descend to discuss strategic issues concerning the world. The event was inaugurated by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on 1 March in New Delhi and will conclude on 3 March 2016.
– The ambitious event is being organised by the Ministry of External Affairs in association with Indian think tank, ORF focusing on the theme of “India: Regional and Global Connectivity”.
– ‘Raisina Dialogue’ is expected to engage with geopolitics and geo-economics and designed to explore and examine the prospects and opportunities for Asian integration as well as Asia’s integration with the larger world.
2) The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) started which first-of-its-kind service on experimental basis from 1 March 2016? – Cargo service on its Airport Express line
Explanation: DMRC, in a first, started ferrying cargo on its premium Airport Express Line linking Indira Gandhi International Airport to New Delhi railway station from 1 March 2016. The experimental service will see a long-term arrangement if it becomes successful.
– The agency is utilizing the Airport Express line for transporting cargo between the New Delhi railway station and IGI Airport Metro stations on a trial basis for three months. For the same DMRC has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with a specialised cargo agency.
– This is the first ever occasion, when a Metro system in India is being used for the transportation of cargo. These trials would help in accessing the cargo volumes that could be potentially be generated on this route on both directions, especially e-commerce cargo.
3) What new rule pertaining to unreserved train ticket travelling in the Indian Railway system came into effect from 1 March 2016? – An unreserved train ticket for travelling up to 199 km distance will no longer be valid after three hours of purchase of the ticket
Explanation: Under the newly implemented rule, unreserved tickets for distances up to 199 km, the journey has to be started from the originating station within three hours of the issue of tickets or up to the departure of first train for the destination whichever is later.
– Apart from this, the return journey facility for distance up to 199 km for unreserved tickets has been withdrawn.
4) Which state implemented the Food Security Act across the state from 1 March 2016 under which poor families will get wheat at Rs. 2 and rice at Rs. 3 per kg? – Uttar Pradesh
Explanation: Until now, only families under the Antyodaya scheme were being benefited in Uttar Pradesh and the families above and below the poverty line (APL and BPL) had to pay more.
– The Food Security Act has been already implemented in UP’s 28 districts from 1 January 2016 but from 1 March 2016 it is being spread across all the 75 districts of the state. The complete implementation of the act will only happen by April as some real time data at some districts are yet to be compiled.
5) What is the name of the Pakistani woman activist, journalist and filmmaker who created history on 28 February 2016 by becoming the first Pakistani to win an Academy Award (Oscar) and the first to win twice? – Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy
Explanation: 37-year old Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy made her name into history books when her name was called at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, for best short subject documentary film of the year.
– The film, A Girl in the River – The Price of Forgiveness, highlights the issue of honour killings in Pakistan.
– In 2012 she became the first Pakistani to win the coveted Academy award (for Best Documentary) for a documentary titled ‘Saving Face’. Now she has become the first Pakistani to win the award twice.
(Photo Courtesy: Wikipedia)
6) What is the name of the powerful former ally of Zimbabwe’s President Robert Mugabe who on 29 February 2016 launched a party Zimbabwe People First (ZPF) to challenge his 35-year rule? – Joice Mujuru
Explanation: Joice Mujuru was President Mugabe’s second-in-command until he sacked her in 2014 after accusing her of plotting to oust and kill him.
– She is the most senior former Zanu-PF leader to form an opposition party, and is tipped to be its presidential candidate in the 2018 election. Joice was the first woman to become Zimbabwe’s vice-president in 2004.
| Current Affairs | Current Affairs 2016 | IAS | SBI | IBPS | Banking | Bank PO | Banking Awareness | Daily Current Affairs | Best Current Affairs | 2106 Current Affairs |
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.